Friday 26 July 2024

28MM COMMANDO WW2 part 2 OF 3

 So I did get another packet of the 28mm Warlord Games Commandos in plastic - only this time it was the new version.

So in total its now 55 guys (old pack 25 off and new one 30 off ).

Below: New ones at top - older version in berets at bottom
28mm commando

Below: So I have the original guys in berets...(older Warlord Games version).28mm commando


And the newer version (30 off) built using the cap comforter...I actually prefer these heads. They remind me of Airfix 1.72 scale...remember the kayak and ladders LOL. Anyway I think it was October 1942 when they moved to the green berets.




                                                    Below: Vickers k  gun on the right

The cap comforters look great.

I used Vallejo English Uniform


The new figure pack has a few Vickers K weapons which is great but it doesn't have any Stirling SMG? ... strange I thought. Apparently with a rate of fire faster than the German MG34. 

I also purchased in metal some heavy weapons ... 5 mortars, 5 Vickers water cooled HMG, and some radios (from Assault Group). I then used some of the new figures as crew/operators. 
28mm commando

Most of the new figures have the weapons already attached to the arms. So again I had to raid the USA bits box to get some arms!

28mm commando
I mixed them up ...some with packs some not. I placed the Bergans next to some of the crew teams.  I also added green stuff to the ammo belts.

28mm commando

I gave the original "beret guys" some Vickers and mortar support. I think this is a cheap and quick way of supplying heavy weapons to a squad.

The radios I stuck onto clear bases - I can choose to use these or not (that way I don't unnecessary lose figures if the radios are not used). If needed I can just place a figure beside them.

Below: Commando on clear single figure base on top of clear based radio...the base blends in nicely.

So as I was using up guys for crew I ended up with only one guy here..but as per the radio...I can place someone next to him if needed.


I still prefer the old comfort cap on the new pack (you get both beret and cap head sets). The new set has still not addressed the "lack of a firing piat" person. The piat is being moved/carried. I think Warlord may have taken the decision  - to not provide prone figures in this pack.Which is how the piat was generally fired. Shame.
But I should have done a guy with a grappling hook and a guy on a ladder lol...those Airfix Commandos fought well LOL



9 comments:

  1. My goodness me you didn't hang around with these. I prefer the cap comforter heads too and now want to paint some airfix models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Michael I hope you remember the size of those 1:72 guys...good luck !!...or maybe you meant 1:32 ones LOL

      Delete
    2. I actually went and had a look at the 1/72 chaps and the detail wasn't great, certainly not as I remembered it, but there were the ladders and kayaks; way too small for my tired eyes. No Kayaks with the 1/32 I notice, just as well or I may have been tempted! :D

      Delete
    3. LOL Aye ours eyes are not getting any younger...! But I might be tempted try a 3d print of a kayak...just for the 'ell of it.

      Delete
  2. Some salty looking Bootnecks there! Very cool GW- looking forward to seeing these guys get some action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the RM Commandos in this post and earlier one, plus the U Boot crew conversions as well, GW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross i glad you liked them - the u boat conversions were great fun...

      Delete